Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It's the little things

I've been back in Shanghai now for 2 weeks after 3 1/2 glorious weeks in California over the Christmas break. I came back with a renewed and refreshed sentiment for China and committed myself to an attitude of optimism and warmth for all things Chinese. Even the spit, rammed metros and 'scents' were not going to break this spirit.

And I was doing so well about 3 hours into my return. I walked to my gym ready for a good workout after 25 days straight of face-stuffing, wine-consuming, California gluttony. I arrived without incident only to find out that my membership had been revoked! Apparently the 24hour fitness reciprocity agreement only lasts 90 days. Never mind that I had been using it for 9months without anyone telling me this! With the close of my studies just one week away I planned on filling all my spare time (after looking for a job of course) with 4 hour long gym sessions. After talking to two different managers I got to one who said she will just have to look at my agreement and will be re-instated after if I qualify. I will spare you all the details (and ranting about the conflicting management at 24hour fitness) but this is turning out to be no easy task. Silver lining?? I now force myself to walk to more places to get exercise. While my lungs may be suffering from increased air exposure I have seen more of the city than before and come across more friendly faces. Just last week, a migrant worker on a bike stopped in front of me while I waited to dodge traffic and get to the other side. He smiled a wide toothless smile and asked if I was cold because I didn't have a scarf on. In America this would be creepy. In China it's cute and made me want to just hug him (that may have to do with him being a pint size little man but still). We exchanged a few words, crossed the street together and said our goodbyes- him putting a smile on my face and me hopefully doing the same teeth or not. It's the little things.

My second test of renewed China-vigor began last week when I left my US bank ATM card...um...somewhere. It had been a few days since its last use until I realized it was gone. Some would think this a cause for panic. The first time it happened to me (in April) it was! The second time (in June), I knew exactly where to return to get it. Now being the third time (oops!)- it's like second nature. Only this time I couldn't remember where I had left it which sent me on a city-wide cardhunt for my little-plastic-that-could. It took me three different banks and 5 days to get it back. In the end I was more proud of my ability to effectively communicate how I "left my international, gold colored bank card in the ATM machine at ShuiOn Plaza because I forgot to take it back out after getting my money." ATM machine, gold colored, and careless (mamahuhu) are all well etched into my Chinese vocabulary, along with a heightened confidence in my Mandarin (and maybe a more conscientious effort to hold onto my ATM card). It's the little things.

I now spend my days mostly in cafes calling on job prospects and studying Chinese. My timing for a job search was just perrrrrrfect given the trainwreck of an economy but I know this down time will not last forever. I am enjoying the free time I have to focus energy on things I enjoy and are important to me. This is a lifestyle that may soon be over and I will never get to live again. When the big picture may be a little cloudy, it's the little things I'll use to weather this storm that is China.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love getting your cute and insightful postings...keep 'em up! xo Jen